Re: Best of the logo *ideas* so far

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 01:06:04PM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
> > > If I'm not mistaken, Orcas like penguins. For breakfast or the
> > > like.
> >
> > I don't hink so.  Penguins are probably too big for whales.  Unless
> > I'm totally mistaken - and I'm studying biology - whales eat little
> > creatures, little shrimps and the like, called plancton (Plankton
> > in German).
>
> Depends on the type of whale.  Orcas eat fish.  I imagine a penguin
> swimming underwater would be close enough to a fish that an Orca
> wouldn't care.  :-)

orcas (aka "killer whales") hunt and eat baby seals and they hunt in
packs, too. like dolphins, they eat solid food rather than plankton.

i remember seeing a documentary about orcas, referring to them as
"wolves of the sea" or something like that. anyway, during seal breeding
season packs of them hang about off-shore waiting for the babies to
start swimming...as soon as they enter the water they race up to shore,
grab one or two and eat them and then head back out to deeper water.
they repeat this until they're not hungry any more.

a penguin is a light snack for an orca.

that's life (and death) in nature. contrary to what new age airheads
believe, nature isn't soft and cuddly...it's all teeth and fangs. orcas
have to eat something to survive and seals/penguins/fish/etc are it,
just as seals and penguins eat fish to survive.

craig

--
craig sanders