hamm->slink upgrade report

I just upgraded a notebook from hamm to slink.  I have two major issues:

  1) The system grew by about 26% (see below).  I came very close to
  running entirely out of disk space.  Some of this was new packages
  that apt-get chose to install, such as dependencies of the revised
  xbase.  However, the real problem was that while apt-get warned of
  42.2M of growth, the actual growth was at least 53M.  I have not found
  the extra 10M - maybe apt-get does not account for elisp files that
  are compiled in postinst?  OTOH, wouldn't emacs 20.2-6 have had
  about the same volume of compiled files?  The installations were
  from a local mirror mounted by NFS, so apt-get did not add anything
  to its archives, and "apt-get clean" did not recover any disk space.

  2) Emacs quit working.  emacs20 was installed, but there was no valid
  /usr/bin/emacs file.  I removed the package with dpkg, and noticed a
  warning that the alternatives were not set for automatic handling.  I
  fixed that, reinstalled the package, and all was okay.  Not sure what
  happened there.

I used script to log the upgrade, so if you have specific questions, I
may be able to dig out the answers.  (The log was to a separate FAT
partition, so it did not contribute to the above growth.)

			- Jim Van Zandt

  Script started on Sat Feb 20 18:00:33 1999
  voyager:/home/jrv/msg# apt-get dist-upgrade
    libpng2 twm xsm xlib6 librpm1 kbd-data xproxy xfree86-common
    libstdc++2.9-dev xlib6g-dev xterm slang1 xbase-clients libjpeg62 rstartd
    cracklib2 xserver-common libtiff3g newt0.25 nmh rstart xdm libjpegg6a
    libident xmh xfs
  Need to get 12.1M/55.6M of archives. After unpacking 42.2M will be used.

after cleaning out system and installing the first few packages:

  Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
  /dev/hda3             289829  224891    49970     82%   /

after dist-upgrade and configuring:

  Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
  /dev/hda3             289829  279355        0    100%   /
  				------
  	    growth:       actual 54464
  		      advertised 43213
  				------
	              unexpected 11251

                  used before 224891
          /usr/local + /home  -19074
                              ------
                      system  205817
     54464/205817=.26   --->  26% growth!

unwanted new packages: xdm xlib6g-dev rstart xmh xfs
200+3237+48+159+361=4005

Part of this may be in apt's cache:
  # ls -l /var/cache/apt/
  total 1181
  drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Jun 30  1998 archives
  -rw-r-----   1 root     root            0 Feb 21 11:01 lock
  -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       619066 Feb 21 11:01 pkgcache.bin
  -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       599766 Feb 20 18:05 srcpkgcache.bin
...but not the archives:
  # du -s /var/cache/apt/archives/
  2       /var/cache/apt/archives