Re: Debian use of GNU (Was: Re: Best of the logo *ideas* so far)

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 06:37:02AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     All linux distros are really GNU/Linux distros. It's only debian that
>     publicises it. We are not part of GNU, so we shouldn't use a GNU-like
>     logo.
>
> If you use a penguin in your logo, does that mean you're part of Linus
> Torvalds?  I don't think so.  I hope Debian will use a penguin and a
> gnu in the new logo.

There are several reasons why this would be a bad idea. The main practical
reason is that this would make the logo very much too complex. The main
social reason is that this would hardly make a good logo to reckognize
Debian as an entity of its own. The legal issue is that we need something we
can trademark without too much hassles (and enforce the trademark if
necessary).

If we have a logo for Debian, we can always add this logo in a bigger
picture with GNU's and pengiuns and whatever, but this should be a real
extension.

Thanks,
Marcus