Re: smail configuration in exim?

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 12:41:10PM +0100, Debian Mail wrote:
> > > exim: I have different virtual domains using the multihome recipe,
> > > and wonder if I can keep that)
> > Yes, sure. It's only that exim is standard, so it gets installed on
> > a fresh install. It won't remove existing smail package.
> Yes, but can I switch to exim and keep my multihome setup?

almost certainly....but it will take some work.

play with exim on another machine for a few days, experiment with it and try
to implement a similar setup (maybe by making dummy subdomains of your
domain for testing purposes).  when you feel confident that you can do the
switch from smail to exim and get it right the first time, then carefully
backup all your smail config and make the change.  watch it with extreme
paranoia and suspicion for the first few days until you're sure it's working
right.

i've switched from smail to sendmail to postfix (and other MTAs) on
several machines over the last few years. there's no easy way to do it -
you have to be familiar with both mailers before you can safely do it.

craig

ps: the easiest change was from sendmail to postfix. the hardest would
have to be from anything to qmail.

--
craig sanders