Re: PROPOSAL: gtk-gnome coordination team

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> A new mailing list, debian-gtk-gnome, which coordinates
> releases. All
> maintainers of packages linking to gtk or gnome libraries would be
> encouraged to subscribe to this list.

I'm all for this.

> On this list, developers would announce and explain that the latest
> upstream of gfoobar required libgtk1.1.456. The list would then make a
> decision about the next release of libgtk to put into unstable, and it
> would arrange that all gtk-dependent pacakges recompile with prerelease
> versions of this package.  It would then simultaneously upload new
> versions of every app, along with the new libs.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I guess we should do something like
this to make it easier on people that use unstable.

> The mechanics of this would be up to the list.  A fertile possibility
> would be to have a central CVS tree used by all the gtk-app developers,
> allowing anyone to correct minor errors in the others' files, with
> automated build-all scripts.

That's exactly what I want to do with the snapshots project.

I'm going to work on 0.99.7 today, and do some more experimenting on
the snapshots stuff.

Cheers.

 - Jim