Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 09:15:11AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > > That's what the libgtk maintainer HAD to do. The soname changes with each
> > > 'minor' release, breaking all apps compiled against it with each release.
> >
> > That's why we have shlibs deps. Read the packaging manual. He/she needs to
> > setup the shlibs to be specifically version dependant as in
> > "libgtk1.1 (= 1.1.15-4)". This is _exactly_ why we have them. The only
>
> The real problem is upstream packages, which continue to need particular
> versions of Gtk.  Someone will compile gX, and find that gX needs gtk >=
> 1.1.13, so they'll hassle Ben to compile a new gtk package.
>
> For this reason, we actually 'need' at the moment almost all the versions
> of gtk we have.
>
> Debian developer wants to package funky package A.
>
> A requires libgtk1.1.456
>
> What do we do?  Currently, our hard-working gtk maintainer has made the
> latest libgtk version available.  I don't see an alternative..

This was what I meant too. We can't just bump every single package
that depends on some GTK/Glib 1.1.x into project/experimental, simply
because big part of those packages are quite stable software, and
because once installed, every one of these packages and libgtks work.
(I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is for the bug tracking system)

It is quite annoying to have lets say four different versions
of libgtk installed because different apps depend on different
versions of it, but that is the unstable distro.

I still think we should stick to this strategy, and on freeze time,
pick the version that works for most dependent packages. And call
it libgtk1.1 - so that it upgrades from slink's version flawlessly.