Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Ossama Othman wrote:

> It is true that the GNOME situation on Debian isn't favorable, to no fault
> of Debian's IMHO.  However, I would like to suggest that the
> Debian developers that maintain GNOME related packages coordinate their
> efforts, if this isn't already being done.  For example, I am maintaining
> the imlib packages which are currently having problems.  Rather than
> upload the packages and break other packages I have asked others to test
> them.  Perhaps a Debian GNOME team would be good to have.  Does such an
> entity already exist?  Any comments?

Given the size of Gnome and the number of libraries involved, this only
makes sense, IMO.

Aside from making sure all the packaging is coordinated and done in a
timely manner, this team could work on the "Debian Default Desktop," i.e.
making sure the user can easily install all the needed packages and gets a
nice user-friendly experience when they log on to the Gnome desktop. For
example, you might integrate Debian documentation into the Gnome help
system.

How about a mailing list for this? It would be for coordination and
planning among Gtk/Gnome application and library packagers. It would be
helpful to me working on gnome-apt, and I think I could be helpful to
packagers since I track upstream fairly closely and wrote some of the
stuff.

Havoc