Re: Kernel 2.2 and Slink

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On 11 Feb 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>
> > I don't understand this idea of update packs.  We already have regular
> > updates of stable distributions, i.e., 2.0r1, etc.  I think we should
> > release, after slink, a 2.1r1 release which is fully Linux kernel 2.2
> > ready, including special upgrade notes for the Linux 2.0->2.2
> > transition.
>
> If Linux 2.2 is important enough, maybe we could freeze potato as soon as
> slink is released, target potato for Linux 2.2 (not only a release which
> is "Linux-ready", but make it fully based on Linux 2.2), and delay the
> new libc 2.1 to the release after potato.

An interesting idea.

How about this for potato release goals:

Linux 2.2
Choose a gtk-version and call it stable (1.1.15, maybe).  Recompile all
our gtk-apps and gnome with this single version.
Do the perl 5.005 transition.

Those goals seem to me both important, and easily acheivable.  Then we
could freeze the potato on, say, the 1st April ;-) and release in Mid-may.

Comments?

Jules