Re: X and xterm suid root in new X packages?

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 04:37:18PM -0500 , Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 12:09:34PM -0600, chomsky@debian.org wrote:
> >
> > This morning I woke up to this cronjob message:
> >
> > /etc/cron.daily/suidmanager:
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/X PERMISSION MISMATCH: was root.root 755 changed to root.root
> > 4755
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm PERMISSION MISMATCH: was root.root 755 changed to
> > root.root 4755
> >
> > I installed the new potato X packages last night.  Please tell me
> > others have seen this also!  If i'm the only one this happened to and
> > it's not the doing of the packager....  (shudder)
>
> Don't freak out.  After the great X reorganization, I started using
> suidregister on X and xterm.  They've always been setuid root.
But isn't it a problem, that they were installed _not_ suid root,
so the cron job got them and fixed. That's strange.
(at least that way I understand that suidregister message)

				Petr Cech
--
 /    mailto: cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz    \
|   PGP: finger cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz	|