Re: Slink Readiness?

On Feb 11, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      This message helped change my mind about having the same
> Release-Notes for all architectures.  Of the three references to
> (binary|disks|upgrade)-i386, only one could profit by using the ARCH
> substitution.
>
>      1. "read /upgrade-i386/README-upgrade"  There is no
> upgrade-[alpha,sparc,m68k].

True enough; BUT these people can't be upgrading from a pre-2.0
distribution so upgrade-ARCH is a non-issue except on i386.

>      2. "There is a beginner's tutorial for dselect in the directory
> debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current"  There is no dselect
> tutorial in any other disks-ARCH.

There is nothing in any other disks-ARCH because the stuff hasn't been
installed yet (on m68k, it's built, but hasn't been moved by hand
yet).  The dselect tutorial will be in all of the disks-ARCH
eventually.

>      3.  To install apt, do, as root:
> dpkg -i <cd_mount_point>/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/admin/apt*.deb
>      This would work with the ARCH substituion.

So, I really don't see the need for a separate release notes file for
each architecture, especially when each one is going to be fairly
similar, unless it were integrated into the install guide (or
arch-specific things were handled the same way).

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |   http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |     This address has been spam-proofed     |
|  University of Mississippi   |      All spam goes to your postmaster      |