Re: Versioned provides ... a necessity !

According to Jules Bean:
> Suppose I write
>    package Jules;
>    require version 5.005; # Is that how I write it?  Doesn't matter..

FYI, it's   require 5.005;   # close  :-)

> Because Jules.pm relies on some feature or bugfix in 5.005.  Now
> Jules.pm can't go into 5.004, since it might then be run by a 5.004
> perl process causing an ugly mess.  But, if it goes into 5.005, then
> I'm going to have to provide a new version when 5.006 comes out.

I see your point.  But actually it's not an issue.  Consider: If there
is no version of Jules.pm that's OK for 5.004, then you might as well
just put Jules.pm in the shared lib directory.  Anyone using 5.004
will get an error if they 'use Jules', but they would anyway!  The
only difference is whether the error message is 'no such module' or
'wrong Perl version'.
--
Chip Salzenberg      - a.k.a. -      <chip@perlsupport.com>
      "When do you work?"   "Whenever I'm not busy."