Re: Intent to package cforge and code-medic

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 07:25:15PM -0500, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
> Related Question;
>
> Has anyone packaged CodeCrusader (aka JCC)? The website has an RPM and
> instructions for using alien to create a .deb, but it seems as though the
> original .rpm is somewhat lacking in libraries that are crucial to
> CodeCrusader. (libACE, libjx, libjcore, specifically.) I haven't been able
> to get the latest source (1.2.0 according to FTP and website, 1.1.19
> according to the tarball) to compile and install correctly either.
> Serious lack of documentation. Ugh. However, it interfaces with code-medic
> supposedly, so it would be nice to have a .deb of it, I think. FYI, it
> would have to go in non-free if it's not already there; it's not
> distributed under the GPL.

I talked with the author a while ago, and tried to nudge him towards
the GPL.  Since you cannot distribute changes, make sure to get him to
put the debian directory into the main sources (or something like
that?).  Hints that GPL'ing the whole thing would be a good idea might
have some effect - I think his main concern doesn't seem to be money,
but quality control, and it's pretty obvious that forks are a rare
exception - people are too lazy to do taht unless really necessary.

        Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org