Re: Cyrillic fonts for netscape?

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 06:30:20PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> a friend of mine wants to visit Russian Web pages with Netscape
> Communicator installed by the Debian system.  The package
> xfntcyr is installed (sorry, I havn't handy the exact package
> versions ...).  I thought there should be a possibility to
> pick up the western-iso-????-? font from the font menu under
> preferences but there are only the default fonts presented.

Go to "Edit"->"Preferences"->"Fonts" and chose "Cyrillic(koi8-r)" encoding (it
must be present). Then chose "Times(Cronyx)" and "Courier(Cronyx)" fonts as
Variable and Fixed width fonts respectively. That's all! Works perfect with
me.

Most sites will set the correct encoding themselves, but for some (which don't
respect the rules) you'll have to do it by hands ("View"->"Character Set"). I
used to switch back to the default Western encoding afterwards, since the
Adobe fonts are much nicer :-(. Visit http://nagual.pp.ru/~ache/koi8.html for
the complete reference.

And don't forget to add a path to Cyrillic font in your XF86Config file! Like
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"

You can check that you actually have Cyrillic fonts installed by doing
  xlsfonts | grep koi8-r

You should see LOTS of output. ;-)

It's also possible to set up Netscape to see pages in Windows cp1251 encoding
(unfortunately, even some major newspapers don't know about *NIX). You can
e-mail me personally for details.

Good luck!

   --- Alexander.