Re: GUI Package maker idea...

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 11:18:32PM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:

> "matthew.r.pavlovich.1" <mpav@purdue.edu> writes:
>
> > we need a GUI package maker. ie you point to the source tar-ball and
> > input the info .. press dpkginate and fwemp... .a deb pkg.. this way
> > they can make deb's of snapshots .. ie gnome etc..
>
> I've thought about this as well.  It would be useful for simple
> packages.  A graphical debmake/dh-make tool, where you could edit the
> control file, copyright file, etc. would be sort of neat.

i disgree.

a GUI tool like that would give unskilled people the mistaken idea that
they are capable of making a debian package. this is exactly the same
problem as MS giving incompetent people the false impression that they
are qualified to be network administrators because the pointy-clicky
stuff makes it look easy.

whether you're building packages or administering a network, a certain
amount of knowledge and experience is essential. the worst thing about
so-called "easy" GUI tools is that they make it look easy but actually
make it extremely difficult to learn because they shield the user from
the required background knowledge.

think of it as an entry test (or a barrier to entry): if command line
tools are too hard for them, then they need to learn a lot more before
they even think about becoming a debian developer.

as someone else (hamish?) said on this thread, quality is more important
than quantity.

craig

--
craig sanders