rsync for backups anyone?

A friend suggested I try `rsync' for backups. We don't appear to
have a package for it (the www.debian.org package search engine
is broken, so I looked in obvious sections).

Does anyone have experience with it?  Is it worth packaging?
(Probably, since it has a web page, a mailing list and a user
base!)

If no other developer takes an interest, I may _eventually_
package it.  But I'll be pretty busy until April or so.

  http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

  rsync is an open source utility that provides fast incremental
  file transfer.  rsync is freely available under the GNU General
  Public License

  WHAT IS RSYNC?
  --------------

  rsync is a replacement for rcp that has many more features.

  rsync uses the "rsync algorithm" which provides a very fast method for
  bringing remote files into sync. It does this by sending just the
  differences in the files across the link, without requiring that both
  sets of files are present at one of the ends of the link beforehand.
  At first glance this may seem impossible because the calculation of
  diffs between two files normally requires local access to both
  files.

  Rsync uses rsh or ssh for communication. It does not need to be setuid
  and requires no special privileges for installation. It does not
  require a inetd entry or a daemon. You must, however, have a working
  rsh or ssh system. Using ssh is recommended for its security
  features.

  RSYNC SERVERS

  rsync can also talk to "rsync servers" which can provide anonymous or
  authenticated rsync. See the rsyncd.conf(5) man page for details on how
  to setup a rsync server. See the rsync(1) man page for info on how to
  connect to a rsync server.

Peter <psg@debian.org>