glibc 2.1 and potato

glibc 2.1 will be officially released in a few days time.

It will be available immediately (well, about 4 hours after for i386, with other architectures hopefully to follow) via apt from:

'deb http://www.debian.org/%7Eespy/ glibc-2.1/binary-$(ARCH)/'. I don't intend to upload to unstable until a) slink is released and b) it has been decided how to deal with the libstdc++2.9 issue[0]. There are also some other libraries (besides libstdc++) that need to be recompiled to allow new programs to link against them, such as ncurses (and any other library that uses libio (you can tell by looking for _IO_* symbols)), however in that case, the new libraries will continue to work with old programs.

Some programs will cause the dynamic linker to print warnings such as: "less: Symbol `ospeed' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking" (that's after installing a new ncurses linked against glibc 2.1).

I'd like a volunteer to do builds for alpha and m68k (the rest of the architectures already use glibc 2.1).

[0] The runtime library for a glibc 2.0-based system will continue to function on a glibc 2.1 system, but it is not possible to link new programs against the old runtime library (it will succeed, but the resulting binary won't work). My current plan is as follows, egcs will be rebuilt under glibc 2.1 and will produce 'libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1' and 'libstdc++2.9-glibc-2.1-dev' from then on, this way older packages will continue to work until we can recompile them against the new libstdc++[1]

[1] Unlike the libstdc++2.8 -> libstdc++2.9 transition in slink, there will be no way the older libstdc++2.9 can be made on a potato system[2], thus we have to recompile C++-based packages so that they don't have dependencies that can't be resolved in potato.

[2] Barring something evil like 'slink-chroot_1.0.deb'
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>