Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

   Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:09:17 -0600
   From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>

   On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 06:40:31PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

   >    So, in other words, you would have Debian violate FSSTND, FHS, and decades
   >
   > Wow, just when I thought we'd reached some degree of consensus.
   >
   > ``Decades of historical precedent?''  ``Arrogance almost beyond
   > comprehension?''  Are you interested in solving the problem, or are
   > you just talking?

   I, and others, have already proposed a simple solution: add a command-line
   option to disable rpath.  A *better* solution would be to disable it where
   it is not needed.

Good.  Alexandre has already said that he will accept a patch to
disable -rpath for any directory listed in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I
encourage you and/or others who care to write this patch.  Then the
problem will be solved, without requiring further hyperbole.

Another simple solution would be to tweak the Debian dynamic linker in
the same way that the RedHat dynamic linker was tweaked, as already
discussed.

Ian