Re: How do we debug dselect/apt?

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 12:11:55PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > apt-get <?????> -s &> order.log
> > > script session.log
> > > apt-get <?????>
> >
> > Remember we are testing the automatic setup procedures.  I'm not
> > playing dumb here.  It appears we need to log the progress of
> > dselect/apt when it is running from the setup script.
>
> What automatic setup procedure?

Have you never installed a Debian system from scratch?  When the
machine reboots after base is copied to / and configured, the system
asks for a root password and then lets the user perform an initial
install from their favorite medium, CDROM, ftp, whatever.  In terms of
testing, it is very helpful to have log files available to audit
problems when we don't expect them.  In order to use your method, I
need to reinstall the machine from base again.

> You can always run those command by hand and grab the output. In any
> event a log without '-s' output is pretty much pointless.

Why not always save this, albeit compressed, during the first
invocation if dpkg/apt/dselect?