Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before releasing Slink

Previously Michael Stone wrote:
> > perl-suid         31904  [B.A.McCauley@BHAM.AC.UK: Secuity hole with perl (suidperl) and nosuid mounts on Linux] [13]  (Darren Stalder <torin@daft.com>)
>
> I'm not sure there's much we can do about this one--it's a library (kernel?)
> problem. Perhaps a note in the postinst that the 'nosuid' mount option won't
> work, and a suggestion that care be taken with user-mountable media?

What perl-suid should do is check the mountoptions for the filesystem on
which the script resides and abort if that was mounted with nosuid.
Should be quite simple actually..

> Ok. So what we have are various packages that need to have (apparantly) simple
> changes uploaded (e.g., dependencies changed or provided patch added.) There's
> dpkg, which is probably never going to be done. :( And there's ftp.debian and
> nonus, which are dependent on their respective administrators.

> Then there are some things that actually need to be looked at: 28850 says that
> any suid static-linked gettext program needs to be checked. We need a way to
> address 31904. 32485 needs someone to write a patch.

> Someone needs to figure out whats wrong with java (32548.)

Somebody already figured that out IIRC, but a fix should be uploaded.

> And xxgdb is toasted (32206.) Am I missing anything?

I think somebody said xxgdb works for him..

> (I.e., what's holding up slink beyond these few items?)

Nothing I hope :)

> Is a postinst message sufficient to downgrade 31904 (and can someone
> take care of that?)

I'll complain loudly if someone downgrades that.

> I'll look at 32485 unless someone has a patch ready.

I fail to see why 32485 is release-critical.. there are probably lots of
other programs that also don't work with MD5 passwords. Do I hear
somebody saying PAM?

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl