Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Jan 30, 1999, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@cygnus.com> wrote:

> In the normal case I think one can assume that the dynamic linker will
> search any directory listed in /etc/ld.so.conf, and it would be OK to
> omit a -rpath argument for any shared library installed in one of the
> directories listed in that file.

This seems to be a reasonable assumption, as long as no directory is
ever removed from /etc/ld.so.conf.  But then, there's also the problem
of finding the wrong version of a library, if it is found before the
correct one in the search path.  Anyway, as Thomas Tanner argued,
hard-coding rpath won't always solve this problem either (although it
would solve it in some cases), so I'd welcome a patch that would cause
libtool to:

1) use information from /etc/ld.so.conf, instead of having a
hard-coded list of directories, to set sys_lib_search_path_spec

2) refrain from hard-coding directories listed in
sys_lib_search_path_spec (but not in $shlibpath_var) in executables

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}