Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On 27 Jan 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>
> > > Having libtool default to -rpath is what's causing problems.
> >
> > This is IMHO completely backwards :-)
>
> You know, I seem to remember that there is another rather unpleasent
> side-effect of rpath - it basically completely disables library searching
> and thus disables LD_LIBRARY_PATH, once you have used rpath it is not easy
> for a user replace that library (for whatever reason) and I find that
> highly annoying.

Yes, for example if a X program is linked with rpath, and you want to use
something like xaw39 (or xaw95 or nextaw) instead of the usual xaw widgets
with it, you can't. This has it's uses if you know the program won't work
with those replacement libraries, but most programs do so it's a horrid
default.

--
see shy jo