Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 02:18:56PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > You have yet to explain what will BREAK if people continue to use the old
> > font packages.  Not in the future, RIGHT NOW.
>
> Oh, you have yet to explain why a clock bomb is *not* a bad thing.
> "Surely, it will exploit, but not now" ;-)

But it won't.  I agree with Branden on this point.  What's the problem,
other than that you think someday it will explode?  I think it won't.  Who
wins?

My guess is that by the time potato is released, some kind soul will have
implemented package renaming in dpkg.  In that case, all future releases of
Debian will have the problem solved.  In slink, there's no problem other
than your supposed "time bomb," the existence of which is arguable at best.

> I propose a solution (which is the only *viable* solution, since we can't
> guarantee that dpkg will be changed), and you say it's uglier than the
> hell.

It is ugly.  Twiddling with dpkg in the xbase package (tell dpkg to select
all xfonts packages corresponding to the installed xfnt packages) kind of
appeals to me, but I'll respect Branden if he doesn't want to try it,
particularly while slink is in deep freeze.

(Specifically: we could do it sort of like the "menu" package does,
postponing the activity until after dpkg releases its lock.  It won't fix
things immediately, but the changes will show up next time through dselect.)

> > It would compound the error to reverse the name change.

Yup.

Very sorry for posting a "me too" message, but I thought it might be needed.
(I suspect that the infamous Debian "silent majority" effect is kicking in
again.)

Have fun,

Avery