Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 12:59:00PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Yes, but if it gets to the point where someone else will do it if I don't,
> > then I will do it.
> >
> > I'd still rather we explored alternatives.
>
> I think it got to that point.

Well, of course *you* would say that.  You'd rather there were no
discussion at all, and that things were done your way without question.

I want to hear from people other than you about it.

> The upgrade should be smooth, and I think
> this is important enough for the credibility of Debian, so if you don't
> create those dummy packages, I will probably do.

You have yet to explain what will BREAK if people continue to use the old
font packages.  Not in the future, RIGHT NOW.  How will the upgraders be
inconvenienced?  Which of their programs will break?  Tell me.  If you can
come up with something concrete, I'll yield with no further argument.

I'm not going to place your sense of packaging esthetics above my own.

> However, I have still a question: It is really *so* important for you to
> rename the packages *now*, when dpkg does not support it in an elegant way?
>
> Would not be much easier, simpler, creates less confusion and trouble,
> etc. not to rename them for now?
>
> If creating a problem makes it to have an ugly solution, why don't
> just eliminate both the ugly solution and the problem?

That horse is already out of the barn.  Anybody who's been tracking
slink or potato already has knowledge of the new packages in dpkg's
database.

It would compound the error to reverse the name change.

Package: xfntbase
Provides: xfonts-base
?

I think not.

Pretending the Great Reorg didn't happen isn't a viable strategy, either.
If renaming the font packages proves to be an unmitigated disaster, then I
will accept the responsibility for it.  But I'm not going to pretend I
didn't do it by disowning versions -2 through -8 of slink/potato X.

But you very greatly exaggerate the consequences of leaving the old font
packages around.

I knew the xbase situation was intolerable and I didn't put up much of a
fight about it.

The xfnt* situation is quite tolerable.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   "Why do we have to hide from the police,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   Daddy?"