Re: debhelper & /usr/bin/passwd

In foo.debian-devel, you wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just updated my potato system.  The only two packages that were being
> updated were debhelper and egcs-docs.  I got a warning from dpkg that
> debhelper (it seemed) was trying to overwrite /usr/bin/passwd.  Due to all
> of the trojan rumours flying around, I got a little scared.  Also, I
> couldn't see why debhelper would want to overwrite /usr/bin/passwd.
>
> Any ideas?  Is this something I should worry about?

Could you please post the version(s) you have and which mirror you
got it from?

The /usr/bin/passwd file should be owned by the 'passwd' package

[bash]$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/passwd
passwd: /usr/bin/passwd

Also, the debhelper package should not overwrite /usr/bin/passwd...

[bash]$ dpkg --listfiles debhelper |grep /usr/bin/
/usr/bin/dh_builddeb
/usr/bin/dh_clean
/usr/bin/dh_compress
/usr/bin/dh_du
/usr/bin/dh_fixperms
/usr/bin/dh_gencontrol
/usr/bin/dh_installchangelogs
/usr/bin/dh_installcron
/usr/bin/dh_installdeb
/usr/bin/dh_installdebfiles
/usr/bin/dh_installdirs
/usr/bin/dh_installdocs
/usr/bin/dh_installexamples
/usr/bin/dh_installinit
/usr/bin/dh_installmanpages
/usr/bin/dh_installmenu
/usr/bin/dh_makeshlibs
/usr/bin/dh_md5sums
/usr/bin/dh_movefiles
/usr/bin/dh_shlibdeps
/usr/bin/dh_strip
/usr/bin/dh_suidregister
/usr/bin/dh_testdir
/usr/bin/dh_testroot
/usr/bin/dh_testversion
/usr/bin/dh_undocumented
/usr/bin/dh_debstd
/usr/bin/dh_installemacsen
/usr/bin/dh_installwm
/usr/bin/dh_link
/usr/bin/dh_listpackages

[bash]$ dpkg --status debhelper |egrep '^Version'
Version: 1.2.27
[bash]$ dpkg --status passwd |egrep '^Version'
Version: 980403-0.3
[bash]$ egrep '^deb' /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free