Re: DFSG v2 Draft #5

I have two comments...

> 3.2. Misrepresentation of Authors
> ----------------------------------
>
>      The license may restrict the use of names and trademarks of the
>      copyright holders in association with modifications of the original
>      software.
>
>      <Not part of the old DFSG>
>
>      <It can restrict the unauthorized use of the names and trademarks of
>      the copyright holders even to promote something derived from the
>      original software>
> 3.6.2. Versioning and Renaming
> -------------------------------
>
>      Modified software may be required to use a version number or name
>      different than the official release.

Are these two clauses redundant?  And should 3.6.2 be interpreted to
extend to other identifiers besides name or number (such as icon used
in a GUI to identify the software, or a logo affiliated with the
software)?

Second...

gecko@debian.org said:
> 3.3. License of Derived Works  ------------------------------
>      The license may also require the license of modified and derived
>      software be restricted to the same license or to any license that
>      meets these software has the choice of license as long as they
> meet
>      these guidelines.

>      <Also part of old DFSG point 7>

This looks like the result of a bad cut-and-paste job.  I have tried,
and I can't even understand what it was supposed to mean.  Could this
be clarified in the final version?

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our