Re: Debian logo & its license

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 11:44:06PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Robert Woodcock wrote:
> > "You are licensed to use and distribute modified versions of this logo to
> > refer to or advertise debian."
> >
> > Note that this fails DFSG point #6. I believe this was the original intent.
>
> We shouldn't license our logo by any license that does not comply with the
> DFSG. To do so would be hypocritical.

Not true. It's the Debian Free SOFTWARE Guidelines. A logo is not software.
It may well be that we want a logo whose use is restricted so that we can have
some control over the quality of items that it is associated with.

It appears that what we really need are two logos: one with a relatively open
license and second with a more restricted one. The open one would be used on
web pages, etc. An example where a more restricted license would be appropriate
is letting it only be used on CDs that pass a test suite guaranteeing that the
CD set is 'good enough'.

Jay Treacy