Re: bzip2 compressed files

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 01:22:56PM +0000, Russell Coker wrote:
> Would it be possible to have files such as Contents*.gz also provided in bzip2
> format to reduce download times when using slow links?

Good idea. And Packages files too.

But that would need implementation in dselect, and will only work
if bzip2 is already installed. Bzip2 package is not in base IIRC,
and that would require a bit more changing, like adding another
180.6k to base_2.2.tgz. I'm sure that there are more problems...

Is there a way to manually download the Packages.bz2, unpack
it somewhere and make dselect use it? I remember something like
/var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/packages_something but I'm not sure.