Re: Where does 'www-data' come from?

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 09:39:18AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> The only thing my proposal changed was the UID and the GID of the web
> server, so that the web server doesn't have write access to the web
> files. It most cases, it is not required that the web server have
> write access to its files, and in those cases where it is required
> (eg if CGI scripts need to be able to modify HTML files), then
> you can change the UID and/or GID of those individual files.

But shouldn't it be www:www-data? Or at least put www into group www-data
by default if you want to change it. Then you can just chmod g+w if you
want write access to some HTML-Files/directories. And the httpd server
should be able to read his HTML-files if you ask me :-) even if they are
not world-readable.

cu,
Lars

--
Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others.
 (Berry Kercheval)