Re: mc bug? or i've not read the manuals

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Jules Bean wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Tibor Koleszar wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > So, if you have a script with a setuid flag after you edit+save it in
> > mc's editor the flag will dissapear...
> > I dont know, but i think it's a bug.
> > Let me know if it is, and i'll report it.
>
> i've observed the same thing in emacs.
>
> Presumably it's an OS level safety feature.
>
> (Seems sensible to me)

I suspect that both of you are editing these files as a user. I suspect
(but haven't checked) that if you do the edit as root, that the bits will
stay in place, but another user, who may have write permissions on the
file should not be able to change the functionality and retain the
setuidness. This seems like a proper quirk of the permissions system and
nothing to do with the editor in question.

Luck,

Dwarf