Re: Debian goes big business?

David Welton wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 04:55:29PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Shawn writes:
>
> > > I am all for a for-profit business forming as a value-added seller
> > > of Debian products. Such a business could focus on
> > > pre-installations, packaging and marketing, and user support. I
> > > would think a very successful business could be built on such a
> > > model, and there would be no necessary control flowing either way
> > > between said business and the Debian organization. The Debian
> > > community would control the software, such a business (and there
> > > could be many of them) would control its own marketing, packaging,
> > > support program, etc.
>
> > Exactly!  This is just the sort of company I would love to participate in.
>
> This is what Prosa (www.prosa.it) is, for the record.

It is something more, for the record.
It's the only company (a ltd for the precision) that has carved into
stone (in its statute, I mean) the obligation to comply with the
open-source definition.
That means that if an employee installs Windows on a company PC it can
be fired.
No, "can" is not the right verb; "must" is. :-)

> Alessandro Rubini (who wrote Linux Device
> Drivers, as well as the Kernel Corner column for the Linux Journal) is
> one of their employees.

One of the founders, for the record, and beloved President.

fab