Re: Debian appears to be ancient

> John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:
>
>    Edward Betts writes:
>    > Are you sure it was /usr/doc/copyright/base ?
>
>    hasler/~ ll /usr/doc/copyright/base
>    total 2
>    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1197 Dec 31  1969 debian.README
>
> So what package does it come from, then, and what version?

It's in the "base" package, which on my system is version 1.1.0-14.
The package itself was split a long time ago into several other
packages, but because it contains several hard-to-upgrade files (e.g.,
/dev/*), it can't be removed from systems which contain it.  The
upgrade would totally trash the system.

Newer installs don't have that problem, it's just the older installs.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our