Re: New DFSG Draft revision #3

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Darren Benham wrote:
> On 20-Jan-99 Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > In the case of Zope, I have to disagree. You have to think of Zope as
> > an application with an GUI realized in HTML. I don't see a difference
> > to an application that publishes its GUI as X11 calls:
> >
> > Your DFSG2 draft says "The license may require such notices to be
> > displayed: * during execution of the software".
>
> Are you saying that this zope software (and I am unfamaliar with it) is running
> while the webpage is being displayed?  I think I need to know more about Zope
> to understand the situtation.  I'm picturing this like... vim or nvi or {fillin
> your favorite editor} requiring <created in vim> at the top of every file.

<unlurk> To crash in uninvited, and only to clear up what Zope is: Zope is
an object publishing environment in Python, designed primarily for
building web-based applications.  Another way of putting this is that it's
a sort of ORB system that turns URLs into Python object calls, usually
generating HTML as a result.  You could also look at it as a user
publishing system, since it has its own permission controls and hierarchy,
some database connectivity, and lots of really cool stuff that can all be
administered via the web.  (It was formerly the Principia web application
environment, a commercial product of Digital Creations, inc.) Comparable
things include Allaire's Cold Fusion product, the WebObjects environment
(does Apple make that?), maybe even things like ASP (in a primitive sense)
... while it's all of these things and none of them, this may give you
some idea of what Zope does.  Short version: if you like writing classes
in Python and want to interface them to the web, while allowing things
like users publishing their own content, Zope is exactly what you're
looking for.  Okay.  <whew>

As I read the license, it just requires that you display notice that your
website was created using Zope, e.g. a sort of "powered by Zope" logo
kinda thing, and you need a "credits" page of some sort.  I'm not even
sure this license requires that this notice be on every page, just that it
be in some obvious place near the "front" of the site.  (But I don't have
the license here in front of me, unfortunately ...)

Andy