Re: Debian v2.1 ("Slink") Deep Freeze

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Jules Bean wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
> > Please, remember that we need also pseudopackages xfnt100, xfnt75, etc.
> >
> > Otherwise dselect will not select the new ones in favour of the old ones
> > unless the user had some package which specifically depended on some
> > of the old one and now depends on the new one. Since we can't guarantee
> > that this will always be the case, we need pseudopackages for all the xfnt
> > old packages and for every other package that changed its name.
>
> Surely not?
>
> Surely the Replace/Provide/Conflict combination will make dselect pick the
> new ones?

I'm sorry but I'm afraid this is not the case.

I hate to say this, but please read the packaging manual and/or the policy
manual. I think you could be a little bit confused about the meaning of
some of these fields.

If you want a short explanation, here is one: dselect will not take
in account *any* of the fields in the packages you *don't* have installed,
unless there is an unsatisfied dependency.

You could make the new xbase to conflict every package that changed its
name, but then dselect could simple mark them for removal.

--
 "20a90020402cc6119b4acfbf159fc05a" (a truly random sig)