Re: LSB?

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Ean R . Schuessler wrote:

> You can start by writing to our man on point with the LSB, Dale Scheetz.

Absolutely!

> It is noteworthy, however, that Dale hasn't already commented in this
> thread. Are you still actively following the LSB, Dale?

That only has to do with the fact that I also have "billions" of other
things to do besides reading ill informed postings on this list.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. It is only because I am already overloaded
with "other people's problems" as well as a raft of my own.

If you wish to educate yourself with /. and not check the facts before
spreading fud, then I have no time for you. For information about what the
LSB is doing check the web site (www.linuxbase.org), where you will find
all of the borring details about how this committee is organized and what
is currently going on, or ask me <dwarf@polaris.net>.

Ok, now that I've unloaded my baggage, let me speak to the issues
addressed.

The test suite under discussion is completely the product of TOG, as a
"favor" to the LSB. I made my objections to the chair of the LSB Committee
when TOG first suggested the name of the test suite, but (as usual) my
objections were ignored ;-)

The FHS test suite was suggested, soon after the license was resolved on
the POSIX test suite produced by TOG. With the current license, we can
"pick and choose" from the test suites available, those tests that suit
the needs of the LSB. So, it really doesn't matter if TOG insists on
misnaming the test suite, we can still use it as we please, within the
constraints of the Artistic license.

Keep clearly in mind that this test suite (just like VSX-PCTS) was written
to a particular standard (the FHS) and that any problems you have with the
test suite should only be those where the test suite violates the FHS. I
know that Debian has not (yet?) accepted the FHS. It wasn't clear which
portions are going to be useful to the LSBC until the suite was released.
Since that time I have been working on packaging the TET and VSX software
as Debian packages. Some of the unique characteristics of these packages
have been forcing me to think about just how that can be accomplished
under the current Policy structure of Debian, but that's another story.

In addition, there is going to be a "physical" meeting of the major
participants (myself included) soon, so we can get to know each other
better, and get a better idea of what we are each going to be able to
accomplish. There is also going to be a meeting between us and the various
vendors and distributions that have an interest in the outcome of this
standard, so that we can come to understand their needs better as well.
I believe that Ian J. <our fearless leader> will be representing Debian at
that meeting.

So, if I seem to not be "johnie on the spot" as much as I have in the
past, rest assured that I am grinding away on LSB Testing issues, right
along with all the other things I grind at ;-)

> On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 10:51:03PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > It has come to my attention that recent decisions made by the Linux
> > Standard Base body (I hesitate to say "committee" as I have never been
> > party to any of their internal discussions and am unaware of their
> > internal organizational structrure) are possibly unwise and have been
> > determined by at least a few individuals as A Bad Thing.  Particularly
> > worth note are several i386isms and other things which those who have
> > spoken already feel are oversights with potentially disasterous results.

The following is directed at Joseph:

If you insist on associating the deficiencies in one thing with the
capabilities of another, I'm surprised your life isn't total chaos. Such
reasoning is totally without logic, and you would be better off rolling
dice to decide your next move.

I strongly suggest you do better research, next time you think you should
badmouth someone else's work. There are some very quality folks working on
the LSB, and you denigrate their efforts when you draw the unsubstantiated
conclusions you presented above.

Grrr...

Dwarf