Re: what about Pine's license?

Bruce Sass wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>

> > > [1] ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/pine/docs/legal.txt
> >
> >  Redistribution of this release is permitted as follows, or by
> >  mutual agreement:
> >
> >    (a) In free-of-charge or at-cost distributions by non-profit concerns;
>
> This sounds like Debian and the ftp servers.

Doesn't matter.  Those who get the software must have the same
rights as we do.

> >    (b) In free-of-charge distributions by for-profit concerns;
>
> Pine doesn't want a company making money from Pine/Pico/Pilot...

This makes it (paradoxically) non-free.

> ? If Pine is non-free, then it is non-free.

Huh?

> Why does non-free == no modified binaries?

It's a separate issue.  We don't have non-free _binaries_ like we
do for other non-free stuff because of _no modified binarie_.
But it would still be non-free even without that clause.

Peter