Re: what about Pine's license?

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Bruce Sass wrote:
>
> > Why does non-free == no modified binaries?
>
> Because modifiability, specificly the right to distribute modified
> binaries, is a DFSG requirement.

Well, I would better say: The right to distribute modified binaries is
just a legal requirement for Debian to put a modified binary in the FTP
tree, be it main, non-free or whatever.

Pine license is special in the sense it is one of the few non-free
licenses that do not even allow modified binaries in a FTP server.

The relevant paragraph in Pine license is this:

Although the above trademark and copyright restrictions do not convey the
right to redistribute derivative works, the University of Washington
encourages unrestricted distribution of patch files which can be applied
to the University of Washington Pine distribution.

and it does still apply since it has not been removed from the CPYRIGHT
file in pine 4.05.

Thanks.

--
 "8debc814cde131c483edd464ef9476f6" (a truly random sig)