Re: Where does 'www-data' come from?

Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:
  >	We seem to have a ever-standing bug against postgresql saying we
  >cannot have a user called www-data accessing databases (postgresql
  >complains about the '-' in the name, it looks like it is not a valid char
  >for postgresql usernames at all).

It is possible to have a user whose name contains a hyphen, so long as you
double-quote the user name in any SQL statement.  The bug is that, even
if the username is quoted, GRANT does not recognise it, which causes
problems when allowing web-access to tables:

  junk=> grant select on shares to "www-data";
  ERROR:  aclparse: mode flags must use "arwR"

     "The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my
      salvation; he is my God, and I will prepare him an
      habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him."
                       Exodus 15:2