Re: XFree86 hamm -> slink upgrade 'dummy' package

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 12:03:03AM -0800, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> Branden and I have been discussing the best way to deal with the Great
> X Package Reorganization and how people using apt to upgrade from hamm
> to slink will suddenly find that xterm and xdm are gone from their
> system.
>
> The best proposal we have been able to come up with so far is to
> create an xfree86-hamm-upgrade 'dummy' package that xbase Depends:
> upon. This dummy package would Depend: on all the new packages that
> xbase used to provide, so that the upgrade from hamm would go well.
>
> In potato, this dummy package will be Provided:, Replaced:, and
> Conflicted: with potato's xbase.
>
> Does this make sense to everyone? Is it the best way to handle the
> messy upgrade from hamm to slink?

This does sound like a good way to do it...except...
if someone running slink wants to get rid of xdm or xfs...they will
hav eto force the depends.

It also means that all new installs will get all of these things.
However....I don't see any other way to do it (that wont violate the
principle of least surprize)

I would say go for it.

hmm now that xbase has been split up...I supose it is time to revamp my
Poor Mans XTerminal Doc.

-Steve
"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw orgies"
                -- The Mahareeshi Hashish Yogi