[non English versions] Re: New DFSG Draft revision #3

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> By the way, while rewriting the DFSG what about license that are not written
> in english ? In french for example. I talk about that because one
> of my package (sympa) is waiting in Incoming because the license is
> written in french. I've provided a translation to the persons in charge
> of the FTP installation at their request but i'm still waiting.

Speaking of the language used for Licences:
I've been talking with our lawyer about Linux&Free Software licence
issues, and he confirmed that in most countries, licences that are not
written in the (one of the) official language(s) of the country are
useless and are considered as irrelevant in court.

So legally speaking, anyone shipping GPL'ed software in France (for
example) is shipping Licence-less software (ie: public domain).

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:   http://www.openhardware.org    Logiciels du soleil: -