Re: intent to package TETware and VSX-PCTS from TOG

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 07:10:19PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > TET3 (the current version of TETware) wants to have its own "home"
> > directory. All binaries, libraries, scripts and source associated with
> > TET3 are located in this directory.
> >
> > Without suggesting /opt/TET as the home for this package (something that
> > even I don't really like) I am left with a selection from /usr. While I
> > can see arguments for /usr/lib, /usr/share, and even /usr/src, I have no
> > idea which is correct for this application. I am sure that there are some
> > of you with a better opinion than myself. I hope you will share it ;-)
>
> As long as there is no compelling technical reason why it needs to be a
> single directory, you have to split them up according to the FSSTND/FHS.
>
> Maybe you should explain how the binaries, scripts and sources interact with
> each other, and which is run by whom, and what format the binaries are.

The directories $TET_ROOT/bin, $TET_ROOT/lib, $TET_ROOT/src, etc...
contain the TETware binaries, libraries, sources, etc... specifically to
keep them separate from the system to be tested.

The test suites, like VSX4 (the current version of VSX-PCTS) have their
own directories in $TET_ROOT/vsx4, in much the same organization that is
found in $TET_ROOT/. These test programs expect the executables,
libraries, and scripts to reside in $TET_ROOT/, so placing them according
the the FSSTND/FHS provides no functionality, and unnecessarily clutters
up the system. It is even possible that they will interfere in some way
with the testing proceedures. (although I have no firm example)

The question is, where is the best place to hang these directories?

Thanks,

Dwarf