Re: Where is GMT=?

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Michael Meskes wrote:
>   >On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 04:28:33PM +0100, Fredrik Juhlin wrote:
>   >> Do I get to be the first to jump on this too obvious opportunity to play
>   >> besserwisser? :)
>   >
>   >Is 'besserwisser' normaly used in English that way?
>
> It hasn't made it into British English at all.  What does it mean?

"besser" is German for "better"
and "wissen" is German for "to know".

In Swedish we use the word "besserwisser" (a loan from German I
guess) as a term to describe a person who thinks he/she knows
better than others and indeed do tell them so at every
opportunity.

I've deleted the original mail from Fredrik Juhlin so I can't check
from where it originated, but my guess (hinted by the surname) is that
Fredrik is Swedish too, and meant to be a bit self-ironic.

/fax