Re: Multiple versions of packages...

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 05:17:45PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Not entirely true, some libraries are named libnameg1, and some libname1g.
> > For example, Z lib has zlib1g, and GPM lib has libgpmg1. It would be nice
> > to have all of them named alike, but that would be another upgrade problem.
>
> I see...yeah, that should be fixed, but how easily is the problem. I
> also notice that some libs use the libfoo style and some don't (slang
> and zlib are good examples). Also in the case of slang1, the dev
> package is named libslang1-dev.

Zlib contains 'lib' in the name, but slang and gpm2 (i think) don't.
I think it's good that -dev has also the soname, if there were several
libslangs in the archive and more supported -dev packages. But since
there is usually a lot of runtimes (for compatibility) only -dev of
the newest one is used, if I'm not mistaken.

All this should be written somewhere, instructions for maintainers
that have never packaged a library.

> Will there ever be a time when we dump the 'g' naming scheme?

The 'g' will eventually go away, but at that time surely we'll have
new libcs and will be using other letters :)