Re: Startx fails after updating my slink system!!!

In article <[🔎] Pine.HPP.3.96n.990107103534.2062B-100000@mlucom6.urz.uni-halle.de> you wrote:
: On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

:> > > Fatal server error:
:>     ^^^^^ how about this?
:> > > could not open default font 'fixed'
: I've seen it but I havn't any explanation for this.  As I said I didn't
: changed *ANY* package from the x11 section.  After this failure I
: purged xbase xserver-common xserver-mach64 xfonts-base xfonts-* and
: reinstalled them to be sure.  But the damn behaviour remains.
: What could be the reason in  failing to open the default font???

I'm getting the same error trying to launch vncserver on a headless machine
that didn't have any X packages at all until a couple of days ago, and now has
a few from potato.  Frankly, I can't find the file 'fixed' anywhere in the
current Contents file, so I'm wondering if something has, indeed, gotten well
and truly hosed in one of the X fonts packages?

Bdale