Re: GPL violations [was Re: Suggestion: Skip Slink!]

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 01:06:27PM -0500, ijr@po.cwru.edu wrote:

> This annoys me.  You (meaning Debian as a whole) decide to remove KDE because
> it violates the GPL.  This infraction only recieves a "it'll probably get fixed
> sometime". Some double standard..  Debian is allowed to ignore the GPL while
> software developers must follow it to the letter? This is just as serious an
> infraction, if not moreso, than the KDE problem. IMO, every package without
> source available should be removed pronto. "But but it'll break ...."  Big fat
> deal, maybe someone will be more inclined to actually fix it, instead of just
> babbling about possible ways to do so.

I agree that it is a serious problem.  I think one reason it's taking a bit
to fix is the complexity of the fix; it's comparatively easy to remove a
group of packages.  However, I do not believe that we should release any new
release until it is fixed.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org