Re: Suggestion: Skip Slink!

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 10:30:18PM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:

> ACK!!!  So what  your saying is that Debian should wait for
> all (currently up to speed) distros to be ready for release
> before releasing ANY distro?
>
> So...we wait on a i386 version to be released because there
> are some major new hardware issues to work out on the spar
> version..so we wait 4 months to release a version???

If this is the case, sparc would not have been frozen.

> (not saying sparc has these issues...just using an example)
>
> I personally think we need to treat each port differently.  As
> each one will have it's own issues.  Yes, the source distro is
> different and contains all of them...but maybe that needs
> to be re-thunk (uhh) on how it should be handled.  But I don't
> think holding up the release of other ports due to one port
> not being ready is a solution.  That would definatly cause
> Debian to get behind at some point in time or another.

Not that we're not already behind.  Really, I don't think it would matter.

It's always annoying to find that when RedHat/x86 is at 5.1, RedHat/Sparc is
at 4.2.  There are nasty compatibility issues, and obviously Sparc is a
second-class citizen at RedHat.  I don't want this to happen to Debian.
Debian is bigger and better than that.  Debian is a full system that can be
run on different architectures, not several different systems that happen to
be hosted at the same FTP network.

> Yes it would have..big time.  If we want to have all ports released
> at the same time, we need to rethink the process.  We need to figure
> out how in the hell we could ever make it happen.  One port could
> be done months before the others...(or on a rare occasion all at

How would this ever happen?

> the same time).  Each port will have it's own issues.  Why hold
> up the release of one port...making all the users of that port wait
> ...so that another port can be finished.

If there is such a problem with a port, which has not occured in any port
that is ready to be frozen or released, then perhaps the decision could be
made then.  You seem to be forgetting that not all of our ports get released
yet.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org