Re: i586 debian port?

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Marcus Brinkmann:
> a) We can't guarantee that we provide the source for three years currently.

We don't really need that. We need to stop distributing binaries without
sources (including architecture-specific releases), as far as the GPl
is concerned. This is simpler to organize.

> b) We don't have a smart way to have "sub"ports, like i586, which falls back
>    to i386 at any place.

Symlink farms is one solution. Hacking apt to support it is a better
solution, IMHO, but that also doesn't require re-organizing everything
on the ftp site. Avoiding re-organizations is a good thing, because they
take lots of time (months!) if we want to avoid killing mirrors.