Re: Release-critical Bugreport for January 1, 1999

 > Package: boot-floppies (main)
 > Maintainer: Enrique Zanardi <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>
 >   30759  "No support for FAT32 in boot floppies"
 >   31099  (no subject)

 30759 is kernel-image-2.0.36 related, isn't it?

 > Package: devscripts (main)
 > Maintainer: Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>
 >   30838  devscripts: uupdate: fails without warning!

 I fail to see how this is critical.

 > Package: file (main)
 > Maintainer: Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick@feedback.net.ar>
 >   31031  lintian fails for packages python-pdb and python-numeric

 I have to read the bug report (which I can't right now) but...  uh?
 'Package: file' and the bug is lintian-related...  could someone
 *please* retitle this one?

 > Package: libfltk-dev (main)
 > Maintainer: Gregory S. Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>
 >   31242  libfltk-dev: package depends on old libstdc++

 I thought s/o recompiled this?  Also, I sent some patches for the new
 libfltk via the BTS but I haven't heard from Gregory yet (hollydays'
 lag, probably).  *I'd* really like to see the new libfltk in slink
 because:

 a) WRT the current version in slink it fixes bugs (quite a few)
 b) It doesn't list Bill Spitzak at the author (either use the new
    files or patch the current one).  I don't think DD would harass
    Mr. Spitzak (even) more about this, but let's save the guy some
    trouble, ok?

 The soname has been changed upstream, it's libfltk 1 now, that means
 the package libfltk0 has to be removed and a new libfltk1 has to be
 introduced.  I think 0 packages depend on libfltk0, so this should be
 no problem (I haven't verified this)

 > Package: telnet98 (non-US)
 > Maintainer: Ian Lynagh <ian@lynagh.demon.co.uk>
 >   30926  telnet98: Telnet98 overwrites telnet and telnetd packages without conflicting
 >   30927  telnet98: Telnet98 segfaults

 That's not critical (has to be fixed, but it's not release critical)

 > Package: wmaker (main)
 > Maintainer: Marcelo E. Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org>
 >   28841  Problems upgradring from wmaker-superfluous to wmaker

 Either give me a better description of what the problem is or I'll
 downgrade this.  I've looked into this thing, really...  I think
 someone is asking me to provide support for something that upstream
 has explicitly said they won't provide support for: the clip icons
 get lost after the upgrade, simple as that.  I *could* write a
 program that reads 0.14.1 Fiend's information (WMState, in fact) and
 write a 0.20.3 Clip's information (*should* be simple) -- but just
 don't have the time to do that right now.  If someone wants to write
 such a program, I'd be more than delighted to include it on wmaker.

 > Package: xdm (main)
 > Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
 >   29360  xdm: Stopped X without warning/asking

 I think Branden has said several times this can't be fixed.  By the
 time the installation gets to new xbase's preinst, it already too
 late to put a warning.  Solution: make an 'Upgrade Notes' document.
 Put a BIG warning there saying that xdm *will* *be* stopped.  It's
 ugly but it's better than nothing.

                                                              Marcelo