Re: dpkg.log reworked

On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 12:05:48PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> Ok, here's how I see it working (the almighty master plan ;)
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # postinst (preinst, etc...) for package foo-dev
>
> # package related stuff
>
> logger -p local6.info -t "pkg:foo-dev" << EOF
> Package foo-dev may need some configuring before you can use it too
> full potential
> EOF
>
> if [ some test ]
> then
>     echo "There was a problem with blah blah, you need to edit it manually"
>     logger -p local6.alert -t "pkg:foo-dev" << EOF
> There was a problem with blah blah, you need to edit it manually
> EOF
> fi
>
> # end postinst
[..]

This still seems like you're trying to put wallpaper up over a hole in
the wall to me..  I don't see how this really solves any of the problems
with dpkg's interactivity or that sort of thing.  At best ig gives you a
way to see what the output of the installation was selectively.  Arguably
this is a good thing, a very good thing really.  But this seems like the
wrong way to do it.

I would think some kind of logging in apt might be a good thing, same for
the dselect methods, optionally configurable if possible.

--
I'm not supposed to mention that you can eat at Joe's if you want to.