Re: Draft new DFSG

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > So, large databases of information of use to only a few people constitutes
> > a reason to reject the efforts of a developer who can afford to make such
> > an upload?
>
> Well, we can't distribute such packages on cd at the moment. And if we could
> and debian grew to 10 cd's in size, that would make producing debian cd's a
> losing proposition, as well as make it cost a lot more to keep a full debian
> mirror. Such a thing could kill or severely harm debian, so yes, I think we
> should be able to disallow it even if someone wants to package such a thing.

	I would like to see large databases, say for geography,
included.  But I agree that people running webservers should not have
to pay to have the CD shipped to them.  Unless a much higher density
medium becomes the standard by then, eventually some method of
splitting the archive will be neccessary to avoid disaster. There has
been a little discussion on it, but I don't know what the upshot was.

	John

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>