Re: APT 0.1.9 (yes, 0.1.9!) is released!

Ossama Othman wrote:
> >  * -rpath nastiness from libtool is now patched from within configure.in
>
> Can someone explain again why "-rpath" is such a nasty thing in libtool?
> Why wouldn't we want paths embedded in a shared library?  I guess I need
> to look at Debian Policy again.

They caused us many problems when moving from libc5 to libc6, because
libc5-based programs with "rpath /usr/lib" insisted in looking in
/usr/lib for their libraries -- which, of course, had the libc6
versions.  We want to avoid that headache the next time.

I don't think this is actually documented anywhere :)

Richard Braakman